I am sure that your weekends are just like our weekends: a whole lot of running around, from grocery shopping to kids activities to birthday parties. I have to say that I am guilty for running into a store an hour (or two) before the party because I simply forgot. Well, here’s a list of stores in Lower Manhattan that you can easily go to for those last minute gifts.
- Babesta Cribz – Although this is mainly for those who are pregnant and expecting, they the husband and wife duo, Jennifer and Aslan Cattaui personally curate everything from cribz to toys in their store. We go there because they carry many collectibles that the Tween set covet (think KidRobot). And yes, they giftwrap.
- Balloon Saloon – They have a wacky assortment of Throwback Thursday type of gifts like Silly Putty, Twister, to the latest trendy “must-have” collectibles, and of course, balloons.
- Barnes and Noble Tribeca – Their toy selection has been greatly expanded and is neatly organized by age which is a BIG help for harried parents. Also, don’t forget to look in the bargain section because you’ll always be able to find a good book at a bargain price. Free gift wrapping available
- Boomerang Toys Tribeca and Winter Garden – Always is a great destination for toys. Just remember that you’ll probably have to leave there with not just a present for the birthday kid, but for your kid as well. I also love that they have a “gift registry journal” at the cash register which you put the birthday kids name under the date of the party and put what you are buying in the journal. That way, you can see if anyone bought the same gift. And nothing beats the fact that they wrap the present up for you.
- Century 21 – Has a big selection of toys that can be hit-or-miss but there are some big brands that all kids love like Hello Kitty items, Hannah Montana and Doug & Melissa all for a reasonable price. Although the store has been redone (it looks fabulous and is much easier to shop), you still need to make sure to get there early or fight the hordes of tourists.
- Torly Kid – Has a great gift selection for all ages, but their true niche is for the Tween set. Great accessories, jewelry, books, toys and knick-knacks line the shelves. All of their sales associates are always willing to help to find the perfect gift for your son or daughter’s friend. And yes, they do gift wrapping.
Good luck shopping for that perfect gift and let us know if we missed any of your favorite spots. As a reminder, you can browse these store plus many many more on the Mommy Nearest Mobile app!